The first church to be built in the town of Dewar, 1912, was known as the “Little Green Mission”. This was a thriving coal mining community then and was incorporated in 1915. In 1919 the Mission became the Pentecostal Assembly of the World with Pastor Duca. On November 28,1925 the trustees of the church purchased the building from the General Assembly of the Church of Christ in God. Rev. George Schrader became pastor in 1940 and Rev. Preston Cook succeeded. Then on January 1, 1949 the church was affiliated with the United Pentecostal Church and adopted the doctrines and basic beliefs of this organization. Rev. Frank Baber was the pastor at this time and when the church burned, he helped rebuild the structure
Rev. M.D. Deal became the pastor in 1950 serving for a period of six years. Rev. Frank Baber & Rev. Joe Gilstrap pastored for a period of about five years. Returning to Dewar in 1961, Rev. Deal was instrumental in remodeling the church. He gave more than three decades of his life to the work in Dewar.
Rev. Matthew Martin became pastor in 1990 and with a vision for the future, he has been able to see the construction and completetion of a new sanctuary & M.D. Deal Fellowship Center. Ground breaking for the new sanctuary was on April 6th, 1997. The first service in the new sanctuary was Marh 22nd, 1998. Everyone began to feel the excitement build as people were baptized and also received the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For 94 years the “Little Green Mission”, now the Dewar United Pentecostal Church, has been a source of spiritual light to Dewar and the surrounding communities. The Gospel continues to be preached as it ministers to all that pass through the doors.
Image may contain: indoor